Beginning in the spring of 2005, the Poultry Science Department implemented a new undergraduate student program called the Aggie Leadership Council. The purpose of this group is to encourage leadership throughout the student body of the department as well as student representation at recruiting functions and poultry industry events. This group of students helps with the promotion of poultry science while enjoying the activities that are included.
The Aggie Leadership Council will operate independently of the Poultry Science Club. As such, members of the Aggie Leadership Council will be selected by the organizing and advisory committee on an annual basis. Each year’s new members will be announced at the Departmental/Club Banquet each spring. Members will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Leadership ability
- Classroom and departmental conduct
- Extracurricular activities
- Scholastic achievement/accomplishments
- Demonstrated experience with poultry judging/contests
- Industry experience or background
- Long-term career goals or objectives
Mandatory Requirements for Consideration:
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPR
- 9 hours of POSC completed (Note: an applicant may be enrolled in 9 hours of POSC courses at the time of application, but all courses must be completed on a satisfactory basis prior to being admitted as a member of the council).
- Must be able to attend a meeting on the second Wednesday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
- Must be willing and able to attend a majority of the events that ALC participates in.
- Each member will be held accountable for attending ALC events in order to maintain membership of the organization.
The Aggie Leadership Council is a fundamental vehicle for new student recruitment across the state by maintaining an active presence at livestock shows, judging contests, and FFA convention. In addition, ALC upholds a strong relationship with leaders in the state, commercial, and allied poultry industries. By attending several regional and statewide industry based meetings, the Aggie Leadership Council represents our undergraduate student body through consistent interaction with these industry leaders. The following activities are the major events that ALC participates in throughout the year.
- Wingbandings for Ideal: December-May
- Usually occurs on Tuesdays
- Birds arrive at farm around 10 a.m.
- Poultry Institute for Youth: June 14-16, 2015
- Assist with overall running of the event
- Stay overnight in dorms to supervise students
- Serve as activity assistants
- Texas Poultry Federation Annual Meeting: July 9-11, 2015
- Attend general sessions
- Attend social events
- Assist with live and silent auction
- Assist with horseshoe/golf tournament
- State FFA Convention: July 13-17, 2015
- Set up and manage department booth at convention
- Hand out/explain information regarding the department and its activities
- Answer any questions that may be asked of you
- Aggieland Saturday: February 13, 2016
- Set up and manage departmental booth and talk to prospective students about our department and opportunities in the poultry industry
- Brazos County Pizza Ranch: October 2015
- Talk to 4th grade students about poultry in general, including the poultry industry
- Give hands on experience with live baby chicks
- Answer questions appropriately at an elementary level