Beginning in the spring of 2005, our department implemented a new undergraduate student program, the Aggie Leadership Council. The Aggie Leadership Council will be a very fundamental vehicle for new student recruitment across the state by maintaining an active presence at livestock shows, judging contests, and FFA conventions. In addition, the Aggie Leadership Council will also expand its list of activities and responsibilities to include developing and maintaining a strong relationship with leaders in the state commercial and allied poultry industries. By attending several regional and statewide industry-based meetings throughout the calendar year, the Aggie Leadership Council will represent our departmental undergraduate students and programs through consistent interaction with the Texas Poultry Federation and statewide industry leaders.
The Aggie Leadership Council will operate independently of the Poultry Science Club. As such, members of the Aggie Leadership Council will be selected by the organizing and advisory committee (Allen, Alvarado, Coufal, Lee, Hyatt, and Pottberg) on an annual basis. Steps to selection will include evaluation and discussion of applications by the organizing and advisory committee followed by a subsequent interview of potential members as selected by the committee. Each year’s new members will be announced at the Departmental / Club Banquet each spring. Members will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Leadership ability
- Classroom and Departmental conduct
- Club or other student-based extracurricular activities
- Scholastic achievement / accomplishments
- Demonstrated experience with poultry judging / contests
- Industry experience or background
- Long-term career goals or objectives
Mandatory Requirements for Consideration:
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPR
- 9 hours of POSC courses completed (Note: an applicant may be enrolled in 9 hours of POSC courses at the time of application, but all courses must be completed on a satisfactory basis prior to being admitted as a member of the council).
- Texas Poultry Federation Annual Meeting
Attend general sessions
Attend social events
Assist with scholarship auction
Assist with horseshoe tournament and/or golf tournament
- Poultry Institute for Youth
Assist with the overall running of the event
Stay overnight in the dorms with the students
Serve as section proctors
- State FFA/4H Conventions
Set up and manage the department booth at all major shows and conventions. The booth will describe departmental and student activities for our department to all participants.
Hand out information regarding the department, Poultry Institute for Youth and other departmental activities.
- Aggieland Saturday
Set up and manage the departmental booth and talk to prospective students about our department and opportunities in the poultry industry.
- Pizza Ranch
Talk to 4th grade students about the poultry industry and poultry in general
Give hands on demonstrations with live birds.