Why Poultry Science?
Poultry, including meat and eggs, is major agricultural commodity in the world. At some point, almost everyone has eaten chicken, turkey, eggs, or other poultry products. With the popularity of these foods, careers in poultry and associated industries abound. Poultry is also involved in basic biological research on genetics biochemistry and diseases. By obtaining a poultry science degree, you’ll have the opportunity to work with poultry from eggs to the dinner plate. Technical and management positions in bird production, processing, business, research, and education are some of your possible career choices. We invite you to attend Texas A&M University — your first step to a rewarding career in poultry science.
Outstanding Faculty and Staff
You’ll have the opportunity to interact with some of the world’s foremost experts in poultry science. Faculty engage in cutting-edge research to increase poultry production while reducing production costs; ensure poultry products are free of disease and contamination and safe to eat; and recycle or reduce poultry waste. Poultry extension specialists make presentations, prepare publications, and work with the media to educate producers and the general public about the latest poultry production techniques and safe poultry cooking and handling methods.
Growing and Nurturing Future Poultry Scientists
As one of the leading programs in the nation, the Texas A&M Department of Poultry Science graduates more poultry science professionals than any other university. Texas A&M’s poultry science program is considered one of the best because we:
- Maintain an excellent student-to-faculty ratio despite the university’s large size.
- Offer classes where close relationships between students and world-renown professors are established.
- Place students in internships with well-known companies.
- Maintain close contact with the poultry industry and leading scientists.
- Have highly advanced laboratories and research facilities with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Offer internationally recognized graduate degrees in poultry science and veterinary medicine.
- Place almost 100 percent of graduates in poultry-related careers or graduate school.
- Provide leadership opportunities in extracurricular activities such as the Poultry Science Club, Ag Leadership Council, and the award-winning judging team, plus more than 700 other Texas A&M student organizations catering to students’ other interests.
Where Do Poultry Scientists Work?
Poultry scientists are employed in a variety of areas, including genetics, nutrition, processing, disease management, microbiology, sales, and research and development, with some of the world’s largest poultry and food companies:
|Frito-Lay||HEB Foods||Hyline International||Kroger|
|Mahard Egg Farm||McDonalds||Novus||Perdue Farms|
|Pilgrim’s||Sanderson Farms||Tyson Foods||Wayne Farms|
They also work for companies that provide pharmaceuticals, equipment, feed additives, and marketing services to the poultry industry:
|Abbott Labs||Animal Science Products||Elanco||Intervet|
|MS Bio Science||Pfizer||Purina||Roche|